Monday, August 17, 2026
Home NewsTrump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of Iran deal as Kushner meets Netanyahu – as it happened | Israel-Gaza war

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of Iran deal as Kushner meets Netanyahu – as it happened | Israel-Gaza war

by admin
0 comments


Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal

US President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of a deal with Iran on the strait of Hormuz and called for Iran to surrender.

Referring to ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on control of the strait, while Washington is also pursuing its own talks, Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst:

double quotation markIf Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them.

He added that Iran should “put up the white flag of surrender,” according to Yingst’s post on X on his interview with the president.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Closing summary

  • US president Donald Trump on Monday threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of a deal with Iran on the strait of Hormuz and called for Iran to surrender. Referring to ongoing talks between Oman and Iran on control of the strait, while Washington is also pursuing its own talks, Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them.”

  • Two Iranian drones targeted the Iraqi Kurdistan prime minister’s office and the home of the autonomous region’s intelligence chief overnight, authorities said on Monday. Masrour Barzani said that an investigation by the region’s counter-terrorism unit found that his “personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks earlier today”.

  • Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said on Monday that a 60-day deadline for negotiations included in June’s memorandum of understanding was “irrelevant” because the US had violated the deal early on. “We did not begin any negotiations because, a few weeks after the signing, widespread violations of the agreement began, thereby rendering the 60-day provision irrelevant,” he said.

  • Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US envoy Jared Kushner discussed putting an American general in charge of verifying Hamas’s disarmament on Monday, an Israeli official said, as the premier insisted there would be no pullout from Gaza until then. Kushner, president Donald Trump’s son-in-law, flew to the region after Netanyahu, facing a tough re-election fight, publicly rejected the latest part of a US plan aimed at ending the devastating Gaza war.

  • Israeli flags planted on a main coastal highway in southern Lebanon are a violation of a UN security council resolution, the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon said on ⁠Monday, urging all sides ⁠to avoid “provocative actions“. Israel’s military ​invaded a swathe of southern Lebanon during a war with Hezbollah earlier this year, establishing a self-declared security zone it says aims to shield northern Israel from attacks ⁠by the Iran-backed group.

  • Yemen’s Houthi rebels said on Monday they had targeted a Saudi military vessel and four accompanying boats in the Red Sea as part of their maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia. Yahya Saree, military spokesperson for the Iran-backed group, said it had “succeeded in targeting a military landing ship belonging to the Saudi enemy, accompanied by four military patrol boats, in the Red Sea off the coast of Mokha, using several ballistic missiles”.

  • Israeli soldiers have stood guard as bulldozers demolished a Palestinian building in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Authorities cited the apparent lack of a building permit to justify the destruction in Qalandia, south of Ramallah.

  • The UN rights chief voiced alarm Monday at the rising civilian toll of escalating hostilities in Yemen, urging restraint and an immediate de-escalation to avoid plunging the country back into a full-scale war. “I urge all parties to halt immediately any actions that risk returning Yemen to full-scale conflict,” Volker Türk said in a statement, as renewed fighting between the Houthi rebels and the government undermined a 2022 truce.

  • Eight Muslim-majority countries have condemned Israel for rejecting Trump’s Gaza roadmap, saying it “fundamentally undermines the collective efforts undertaken to achieve a just and lasting peace.” The joint statement – signed by Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan – was issued during Trump’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner’s visit to the Middle East.

Share

Updated at 



Source link

You may also like